Welcome to AutoBoardz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

Lexus LS400 surging

 
   AutoBoardz (Home) -> Lexus RSS
Next:  HELP!!  
Author Message
Erik Rudbeck

External


Since: May 09, 2007
Posts: 4



(Msg. 1) Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:56 pm
Post subject: Lexus LS400 surging
Archived from groups: alt>autos>lexus (more info?)

2000 LS400

Today when driving into my driveway - about 20 yards - and slightly downhill
so I enter with the brakes on a bit, the engine suddently revs up, and the
car jumps forward 2-3 yards. I immediately apply the brakes, but the engine
has already returned to idle. While wondering what happened, it revs up
again - 1200-1300 O/min I think, and tries to make another forward jump. I
brake the car to a complete stop, and put the gear in neutral. For the third
time the engine revs up, and then after a second or two returns to idle.

After that the car behaved normal, and I drove it carefully into the garage.

What could be the matter. Any suggestions?

Also I noticed once in a while that when accellerating the car - like when
overtaking other cars, it seems as if the power surges a little. Not much,
probably a passenger wouldn't notice. Could these two issues be related?

Thanks in advance.

Erik Rudbeck
Denmark

 >> Stay informed about: Lexus LS400 surging 
Back to top
Login to vote
Ray O

External


Since: Jun 02, 2006
Posts: 4627



(Msg. 2) Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:56 pm
Post subject: Re: Lexus LS400 surging [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"Erik Rudbeck" wrote in message

> 2000 LS400
>
> Today when driving into my driveway - about 20 yards - and slightly
> downhill so I enter with the brakes on a bit, the engine suddently revs
> up, and the car jumps forward 2-3 yards. I immediately apply the brakes,
> but the engine has already returned to idle. While wondering what
> happened, it revs up again - 1200-1300 O/min I think, and tries to make
> another forward jump. I brake the car to a complete stop, and put the gear
> in neutral. For the third time the engine revs up, and then after a second
> or two returns to idle.
>
> After that the car behaved normal, and I drove it carefully into the
> garage.
>
> What could be the matter. Any suggestions?
>
> Also I noticed once in a while that when accellerating the car - like when
> overtaking other cars, it seems as if the power surges a little. Not much,
> probably a passenger wouldn't notice. Could these two issues be related?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Erik Rudbeck
> Denmark
Engine surging is usually related to one of the following:
* Driver is applying the throttle instead of the brake
* The floor mats are interfering with the throttle pedal - check to make
sure the floor mats are not touching the throttle pedal.
* The EGR system is not working properly - EGR problems are usually related
to surging while at cruising speed or very poor idle
* The idle air control valve or IAC control system is not working properly
(you can try cleaning the IAC with carburetor or throttle body cleaner
* The air conditioner idle-up circuit is not working properly
* The power steering idle-up circuit is not working properly.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

 >> Stay informed about: Lexus LS400 surging 
Back to top
Login to vote
Erik Rudbeck

External


Since: May 09, 2007
Posts: 4



(Msg. 3) Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:55 am
Post subject: Re: Lexus LS400 surging [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message

>
> "Erik Rudbeck" wrote in message
>
>> 2000 LS400
>>
>> Today when driving into my driveway - about 20 yards - and slightly
>> downhill so I enter with the brakes on a bit, the engine suddently revs
>> up, and the car jumps forward 2-3 yards. I immediately apply the brakes,
>> but the engine has already returned to idle. While wondering what
>> happened, it revs up again - 1200-1300 O/min I think, and tries to make
>> another forward jump. I brake the car to a complete stop, and put the
>> gear in neutral. For the third time the engine revs up, and then after a
>> second or two returns to idle.
>>
>> After that the car behaved normal, and I drove it carefully into the
>> garage.
>>
>> What could be the matter. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Also I noticed once in a while that when accellerating the car - like
>> when overtaking other cars, it seems as if the power surges a little. Not
>> much, probably a passenger wouldn't notice. Could these two issues be
>> related?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Erik Rudbeck
>> Denmark
> Engine surging is usually related to one of the following:
> * Driver is applying the throttle instead of the brake
> * The floor mats are interfering with the throttle pedal - check to make
> sure the floor mats are not touching the throttle pedal.
> * The EGR system is not working properly - EGR problems are usually
> related to surging while at cruising speed or very poor idle
> * The idle air control valve or IAC control system is not working properly
> (you can try cleaning the IAC with carburetor or throttle body cleaner
> * The air conditioner idle-up circuit is not working properly
> * The power steering idle-up circuit is not working properly.
> --

Thanks Ray,

I'm quite confident its not the driver
I have checked the floor mat, and it is fixed to the carpet with no change
to interfere with the throttle pedal.
I will look into your other suggestions. How do I locate the IAC valve?

/ Erik
 >> Stay informed about: Lexus LS400 surging 
Back to top
Login to vote
mcbrue

External


Since: Jun 09, 2007
Posts: 51



(Msg. 4) Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:35 pm
Post subject: Re: Lexus LS400 surging [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Gee! This is Great !!!!! The Lexus cars can surge their little engines
and make the cars jump ahead. So now I can see the speeding dump truck
bearing down on me in my Lexus. Fortunately I see it in time to push
the pedal to the floor and wait a while for the car to slowly move out
of the way. Then as I take my foot off the gas and apply the break to
slow donw before I hit the clas of school children who have come out
on the sidewalk to see the speeding dump trucks roar down the street,
the car surges ahead ... Hmmm ... think maybe I am beginning to
understand why the Lexus has to go in for routine service more often
than any of the true Luxury cars on the market today.
 >> Stay informed about: Lexus LS400 surging 
Back to top
Login to vote
mcbrue

External


Since: Jun 09, 2007
Posts: 51



(Msg. 5) Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:08 am
Post subject: Re: Lexus LS400 surging [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Still here under the bridge in the trailer down by the river. But I
sold the S420 and bot an LS430 06 delux model. It won't stop running
the way the S Kar did, supposedly. But it is not a true luxury car.
However, it is about a third cheaper than the S Klass, so I guess that
is what appeals to most of the owners of them. They are certainly a
touchy lot - sort of reminds me of an emporer of olden times who had a
most peculiar clothier. Problem now with tha boyz in tha bak seat iz
them is crowded in there a bit. An them just dont laik thet ole hot
rice wine nearly as much as sum gud ole beer! Sides in the summer here
it is hard to heat the saki wif out heatin tha seati. Course the seati
has them coolin thans in em, but they have no controls on the heating
or cooling amounts - reallllllly weird. You can burn your self with
the seat heaters because they keep on heating with no thermal shut
off, but so far I haven't had any trouble with frozen assets. In all
modest honesty, the coolers do not seem to work as well as the heaters
- some problems with pressure shutting off the flow of air right where
it is needed, and not really being cool enough. Oh well - there will
now be a rash of comments telling me to sell it if I hate it so much,
etc. Enjoy the Oak! Have been watching the spreading leaves for a
while in here.
 >> Stay informed about: Lexus LS400 surging 
Back to top
Login to vote
Larry

External


Since: Jun 03, 2007
Posts: 15



(Msg. 6) Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:41 am
Post subject: Re: Lexus LS400 surging [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

McBrue
You have been drinking antifreeze again. Dem ole boys in the back seat
ani't been out in a while. Couple good surges going round a sharp bend and
ya kin just sling 'um right out! They liked Jerkin Shrimp's cars better
anyhow.
Did ya move outa the trailer or did they move the bridge?

Larry
In the back yard, under the oak.
 >> Stay informed about: Lexus LS400 surging 
Back to top
Login to vote
Ray O

External


Since: Jun 02, 2006
Posts: 4627



(Msg. 7) Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:16 am
Post subject: Re: Lexus LS400 surging [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"Erik Rudbeck" wrote in message

>
> "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
>
>>
>> "Erik Rudbeck" wrote in message
>>
>>> 2000 LS400
>>>
>>> Today when driving into my driveway - about 20 yards - and slightly
>>> downhill so I enter with the brakes on a bit, the engine suddently revs
>>> up, and the car jumps forward 2-3 yards. I immediately apply the brakes,
>>> but the engine has already returned to idle. While wondering what
>>> happened, it revs up again - 1200-1300 O/min I think, and tries to make
>>> another forward jump. I brake the car to a complete stop, and put the
>>> gear in neutral. For the third time the engine revs up, and then after a
>>> second or two returns to idle.
>>>
>>> After that the car behaved normal, and I drove it carefully into the
>>> garage.
>>>
>>> What could be the matter. Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Also I noticed once in a while that when accellerating the car - like
>>> when overtaking other cars, it seems as if the power surges a little.
>>> Not much, probably a passenger wouldn't notice. Could these two issues
>>> be related?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Erik Rudbeck
>>> Denmark
>> Engine surging is usually related to one of the following:
>> * Driver is applying the throttle instead of the brake
>> * The floor mats are interfering with the throttle pedal - check to make
>> sure the floor mats are not touching the throttle pedal.
>> * The EGR system is not working properly - EGR problems are usually
>> related to surging while at cruising speed or very poor idle
>> * The idle air control valve or IAC control system is not working
>> properly (you can try cleaning the IAC with carburetor or throttle body
>> cleaner
>> * The air conditioner idle-up circuit is not working properly
>> * The power steering idle-up circuit is not working properly.
>> --
>
> Thanks Ray,
>
> I'm quite confident its not the driver
> I have checked the floor mat, and it is fixed to the carpet with no change
> to interfere with the throttle pedal.
> I will look into your other suggestions. How do I locate the IAC valve?
>
> / Erik

The IAC valve is usually located on the throttle body. To find the throttle
body, follow the black plastic intake tube from the air filter housing; it
should be connected to the throttle body. If you disconnected the black
plastic intake tube and look into the throttle body, there will be a
throttle plate that opens and closes on a shaft at its mid-point and is
controlled by the throttle pedal. When the throttle plate is closed, the
IAC allows some air to bypass the closed plate so that the engine can idle.
If the IAC gets gummed up, it might allow too much air, which could make the
engine surge.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
 >> Stay informed about: Lexus LS400 surging 
Back to top
Login to vote
St. John Smythe

External


Since: Feb 15, 2006
Posts: 31



(Msg. 8) Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:48 am
Post subject: Re: Lexus LS400 surging [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

mcbrue wrote:
> Sides in the summer here
> it is hard to heat the saki

Lexus owners shouldn't have to heat their sake. Heating is for mediocre
sake. High-quality sake is served cold.

--
St. John
I am so optimistic about beef prices that I've just leased a pot roast
with an option to buy.
 >> Stay informed about: Lexus LS400 surging 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
1998 Lexus LS400 V-8 4.0 L - Can someone tell me if this is model has an "Interference engine " In other words will the engine get damaged if the timing belt breaks? What is the manufacturers recommendation regarding when the timing belt should be replaced. Does an...

Lexus LS400 starter problem - Does anyone know how to check if the starter,the sylanoid, or the relay is bad without going to the dealer? I have a '94 Lexus LS400...thanks!

ls400 - Im new here. just wondering if anybody can help i bought a 1991 lexus ls400. drove for 2 weeks, drove all around town last night parked the car last night no prblems went out to leave this morning car will crank but wont start.can anybody give me an idea...

LS400 r12 / r134a - Anyone know what's involved in upgrading an R12 LS400 to R134a? Or is there a better way (substitute gas, etc) Thanks

LS400 Air Suspension - 1990 LS400 250,000 mi - electronic air suspension I realize the electronic air suspension is an issue on early LSs. I have replaced one air unit (rear) a few months ago. The car performed well for a few months but now the suspension is acting up. The...
   AutoBoardz (Home) -> Lexus All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]